The comment section under an article began to multiply with sentiments of over paying for college with little benefit, college as an asset and non college degree holders agreeing that college was useless. As I scrolled through social media posts many more were now posting about this article
As I saw this online conversation expand, my thoughts eclipsed a moment in my undergraduate Black History course. My college class was torn between the push for trades & skills for the newly freed enslaved population and critical thinking liberal arts studies urged by W.E.B. Dubois.
I snapped back to being square in the middle of this college debate and urging for a blend of both methods.
I would later put my position into action as I restructured my Environmental Science degree journey.
My strategic approach to adjust ECO STEM ( environmentally connected science tech engineering) study to a degree and skills combined career track has served me well as a global consultant.
BLACK WOMEN ADVOCATES FOR BLACK TEEN GIRLS IN ECO STEM
- Presenting ECO STEM as a way to solve real world problems.
- Incorporate real world water issues into critical thinking & hands on activities.
BLACK WOMEN UNDERGRAD ECO STEM SCHOLARS
- Customize your college experience with interactive experiences that builds a skill set and network that supports academic and career preparation.
- Periodically review the knowledge, skills and abilities preferences and requirements of current job listings in your degree field. Strategize a way to gain on hands experience and/or research the listed information.
My strategic approach to adjust ECO STEM ( environmentally connected science tech engineering) to a professional career that incorporates both skill based & academically centered solutions.
BLACK WOMEN ECO STEM PROFESSIONALS
- Be an asset to Black Women Advocates for Black Teen Girls in ECO STEM and Black Women Undergraduate Scholars by sharing your career journey via social media, blog or any easily accessible online platform.
- If a long term career plan is to transition from career professional to consultant consider obtaining additional skills to aid in acquiring talent and securing project bids.
The Trek With Bek Project vision is to empower and connect ECO STEM advocates, scholars & professionals in solving eco & water issues in Africa & throughout the African Diaspora.
This topic is highlighted in part of ASK BEK WEDNESDAYS.